Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dreams or Nightmares?

When I was young, I had a recurring dream where I was walking to school and discovered I was wearing only my pajamas. As I grew older, I flew in my recurring dreams. Of course, someone or something was chasing me, and the altitude I gained by flying gave me the advantage of perspective.

In recent years, my recurring dream is that I'm in someone else's apartment. I don't know how I got there, but I need to get out without waking anyone.

I've been sick at home with a chest cold (made worse by this stinking VOG!) for a day and a half, so I've been logging in more hours of sleep than usual. The result is VIVID dream/nightmares:

In the first, I'm looking at my cellphone when it goes NUTS. Instead of the usual GUI (graphical user interface), my phone is running code. And I mean SCROLLING madly by itself, without my touching it. To add insult to injury, the top half of it opens up to show the guts of the thing.

I had no idea I was so neurotic about my phone!

In the second dream, my girlfriend and I are celebrating our birthdays together at a small restaurant. It looks like some place I've been to in Moiliili or Kaimuki. I set my things down on a table, but when I return, the table is gone (moved) and my things are on a table for one with no room for my girlfriend. I go to the next room, where I find my table in a setup for a banquet. When my girlfriend shows up, she bursts into tears. (She really isn't that sensitive!) The dream turns nightmarish and devolves into evil restaurant workers and a greasy garage.

I'm sure there's an explanation for the above nightmare, but I truly can't think of what it might be!

Do you have such nightmares? Do you dream in color? Do you eat in those dreams?

(All of the latter tell you what's important in my own dreams!)

4 comments:

  1. Dreams are so interesting. I used to have a book describing what they meant. But I can't find it. I'm sure there is somewhere online you could have yours analyzed. Recuring dreams always distress me. I used to have one where I would be in a car speeding around a curve, then next thing I'd be in the ditch, standing there laughing with the car upside down and totaled, next to me. For years I thought I would die this way? Then those dreams stopped. Mine are in color. Had some horrific nightmares, though rarely. And don't recall one where I eat? Strange huh? Interesting topic. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Taryterre! That car nightmare is scary! H

    Here's an update to the cellphone dream/nightmare: it was like a surveillance device. I could her someone's voice on it!

    Aloha, Soos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of creepy/scary about the cellphone in your dream going crazy being part of some surveillance with voices. My old laptop computer once did something like that... running line after line of code and scrolling endlessly. I had no control over it at all. Turns out it was a virus. RUINED that computer completely. Funny thing dreams. They come out of nowhere and leave us guessing for hours on end. Guess we'll never really understand them. But it's sure interesting to talk about them. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, TaryTerre: I'm sure I saw that in a movie, as it hasn't happened to me. Now you know how truly paranoid I am, and what AM I going to do about you? BTW, hope you are doing better?

    ReplyDelete