Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What I've been reading - June

It's no secret that my taste in movies and books runs dark. I'm currently hooked on a series of mysteries and police procedurals - no, don't recoil in horror like one nameless librarian did! They are NOT dry, but rather - full of psychological suspense, insightful character studies, and peeks into the lifestyle of contemporary Japanese. Their's is a culture so rooted in such very different expectations - and therefore, behavior - that I am constantly surprised.

Read The Devil's Whisper by Miyuki Miyabe, and this book will take you on a rollercoaster of assumption, stun you with its turns and surprise you with several twists. What a ride! READ it - I'm returning it today!

Some have compared Miyabe to Natsuo Kirino. They both write about modern life in a Japan that's unknown to most Americans. I've read all of Kirino's books that are available here in English, and I feel they are much darker than Miyabe's works, and different.

I've also read these books by Miyabe - I'm hooked! - All She's Worth, about credit card debt becoming fatal. Also Shadow Family, where the lines blur between real life and the cyber world. And Crossfire, where an otherwise ordinary woman holds the power we women ALL SECRETLY WISH WE HAD! This last book is stunning, scary and ultimately sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment