Sunday, April 17, 2011

Taxes filed or tax refund already spent? What I'm reading

The Emperor of All Maladies: a biography of cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee.  I told myself I wasn't going to read the whole thing. But I am. The writing is that good, the story is that compelling.

Cancer is something all human beings will confront, whether in ourselves or our friends or loved ones. The story of its discovery, classification and the ongoing search for cures may not seem like the basis for riveting writing, but the people are brought to life in this book: the victims, survivors, researchers and doctors.

I have to return it soon, whether I finish it or not, as I can't renew it because THIRTY-SEVEN patrons want to borrow this, and only eleven libraries chose to add it to their collections. Demand truly exceeds supply here.

I am also reading Terry Pratchett's Only You Can Save Mankind - a fun sci-fi/gamer young adult book.

For those of you with young children or grandchildren, I recommend Guji Guji by Chih-Yuan Chen. It's about a crocodile who's raised with ducks. I'm having so much fun reading children's books - both for myself and to the children who come for class visits!         

Happy reading - too many books, too little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment